Monday, October 8, 2012

Slide on ambulance canopy

I saw this interesting slide on box that converts a pickup at USJ1 industrial park. From the faded marking it says it used to be a government ambulance. My guess is that it was designed to slide on to a Land Rover pickup tray to convert it into an ambulance quickly. To my eyes, it looks like a perfect candidate for conversion in to a compact campervan. It as full heights rear doors and standing interior head room for average adults. The best thing is that it can quickly convert any pickup truck into a camper with minimal modification.

I wondered how many of these type of ambulance bodies were used in Malaysia, it must be quite rare because I have yet to come across other similar units. The discovery of this slide-on body leads me to search for similar type of slide-on in the Internet and I found a Canadian company called MTC that produce the very type of bodies that I was looking for. According to MTC, the slide-on body is meant to be used as a standby that can quickly convert any pickup truck into an ambulance for work crew who works in remote places where it may be difficult to call for ambulance services.

The cab-over section can easily provide sleeping berth  for 2 with some internal extension.

The body is made of fiberglass and it looks like it is still in good condition despite the dull and pitted exterior

The slide-on ambulance body made by MTC

It is designed to quickly convert any pickup truck into a functional ambulance when it normal ambulance services may not be immediately available.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello.

This is interesting. Someone finally saved it. I once many years back paid some cash... deposit for this cabin. Planned to add onto my land rover defender 110 hi-cap as a camper project. Unfortunately i was longer by 2' from the existing tub. so i canceled.

FYI, originally it was fitted on a LR too but after auction the pick up defender 110 sold separately. I also hv pics of it to share with anyone who's interested. This cabin end up very high fitted on a standard defender which could be troublesome for me going off road . that made me quit the idea & ask for my $$$ back.

anyway nowadays campers are better looking with pop up roof top.